For the last week we have been researching information on America and I really enjoy learning about America. There are lots of aspects to look at when you’re learning about America because it is such a big country so it never gets boring.
America has lots of celebrations such as Martin Luther King Day, Thanksgiving, Presidents Day and Columbus Day, but I’m just going to talk about one them today and that is Columbus Day.
Columbus Day takes place on the 2nd Monday of every October and this celebration has been taking place since October 12th 1792. Celebration for this special day takes place all over America but the biggest one takes place in New York, they hold a huge parade for the day. The first celebration in 1792 was held by the society of St.Tammany, also known as the Columbian Order. It celebrated and remembered the 300th anniversary of Columbus’s landing. The 400th anniversary inspired the first official Columbus Day holiday. After this schools started to do plays, and community festivals were held all around the country.
Did you know ?
- America is the 3rd largest country in the world after Russia and Canada.
- There are 50 stars on the flag that represent the 50 states.
- The bald eagle is the national bird of the USA and the symbol of the USA.
- The Rose is the national flower.
- The largest state is Alaska and the smallest state is Rhode Island.
- There are over 20,000 flower species and most came from Europe.
- There are 2 senators from each state which means there are 100 senators altogether and each of them serve for 6 years.
- America has the largest coal reserves in the world.
- America has had 44 presidents.
The Statue of Liberty – The Statue of Liberty was a gift of friendship from France. It is a symbol of freedom and democracy. The statue of Liberty was given to America on the 28th of October 1886.
The Empire State building – The Empire State Building is a skyscraper located in Manhattan. The Empire State Building has 103 floors.It was the world tallest building for 40 years. It is 1,454 ft high. In 2012 it was no longer the tallest building.
- Capital – Washington DC
- Population – 300,000,000
- Currency – US Dollar
- Motto – In God we Trust
- Largest State – Alaska
- Smallest State – Rhode Island
- Area - 3,794,083 square miles.
- National bird – Bald Eagle
- National flower – Rose
- Area – 3,794,083 square miles
- Native Americans originally came from Asia.
- Lots of Native Americans live in Alaska.
- They lived in huts made from stone, mud and wood.
- Lots of Native Americans were killed by invaders or died from diseases.